Wedding Gifts, Chapter 4 (Final Chapter)

In which I share a crewel project based on a wedding invitation and speak of wool in a very un-cruel way.

Untitled

So here's the last project I did for the lovely wedding last month; an embroidery based on their beautiful wedding invitation, placed in a twelve inch shadow box.

Untitled

The invitation was made by Kelly Thorn of Thornographic Design.  Isn't it gorgeous!?  It was so pretty that it inspired me to make an embroidery from it using Appleton Crewel Wool Yarn.  

Untitled

I first drew out the design in pencil with some slight changes (with help from the great book Wolly Embroidery) to make an easier translation to embroidery.  Once I had everything where I wanted, I went over the pencil with a sharpie, taped the drawing to a window, taped my fabric over the top, and traced with a disappearing ink marking pen.  Then came the fun part of embroidering the design!

Untitled

I really liked how this turned out!  It was also my first time using crewel yarn and I LOVED it!  I just loved the texture and loved how easy fill stitches were with it.  I think I finally have the stem stitch down, and I learned a new stitch, the leaf stitch!  I need to get my hands on some more of that wool yarn!!

The metaphoric book is now closed on the projects for this particular wedding.  If you missed or want to see the other chapters: Chapter 1, Chapter 2 and Chapter 3.  I'm also pleased to report the gifts were well received, which is the most important thing!

Comments

  1. Wow! This is beautiful! Definitely a gift they will treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! What a thoughtful wedding gift - I love how you made it to match the wedding stationary!!! I'm a bit sad that this is the final wedding present post - I've enjoyed them!!! ;-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is amazing! I've really got to try embroidery one of these days. How long does it take you to do a project like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Kate, I've always had a thing for crewel, in that I love it, but I've never tried it. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts