Doily-Along Announcement!

Untitled

Cue the trumpet fanfare! I'm here to announce the first ever Doily-Along here at Signed With an Owl! Does that sound like fun? Heck yeah it does!

Untitled

We'll go step by step together (with plenty of photos and easier to understand directions) to create this lovely vintage doily titled "Baroque" from Star Book no. 78, Television and Radio Scarfs! I'll break down the steps into a few different posts so that we can all crochet along together in the next couple of weeks, or you can go at your own speed.

This pattern is made by joining several motifs together. A motif pattern is great because you can make the piece as large as you want. I will be showing how to make the arrangement in the photos above, but you'll easily be able to make it another size if you'd like! Motifs are also great because they can easily be memorized as they are often fairly small. (This one only has five rounds.)

During the process we will cover the join-as-you-go method, picots, and blocking. We can even set up a flickr group to share our progress and finished pieces.

Untitled

So who's with me?! We'll start next week on Wednesday the 22nd. This will give you time to gather your materials before if you'd like.

What you'll need:
size 10 crochet thread in two colors (or more- I can picture replacing the yellow in the doily above with several different colors...) One skein of each color will be PLENTY!
1.65mm hook
sewing needle (for weaving in ends)
t-pins (for blocking)
blocking board (I use rubber kid's playmat tiles [mine are a much smaller version of THESE] but you can also use foam board, an ironing board... you have to be able to pin into the surface and it will get wet.)
spray bottle (optional- you could also wet your finished piece under a faucet)

If you are scared to work in thread, don't let that stop you! You can do it!! But feel free to experiment with different thread/yarn and hook sizes though!

Comments

  1. I'm in! Even though getting the dreaded picots centralized seems to escape me! I'll be using a thicker cotton and larger hook as small hooks and thread makes my eyes go screwy! I've never found T-pins, maybe they can be bought online. I also saw the jigsaw type blocking boards somewhere online, but can't remember where!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid my crochet skills aren't up to it. :-(
    But I'll enjoy watching from the sidelines.....
    Love the doily in the photo!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooop! Great, will have a think over whether I dare use the very fine thread :D Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray!!! So glad you're joining in with whatever you decide to use! It could be a great excuse to tackle the fine thread though ;)
      Kate :}

      Delete
  4. ….. I'm unpacking all my stuff, so there is a lot of yarns to choose from!!!! ;oD
    thank you for "feel free to experiment with different thread/yarn and hook sizes" !!!! ;oD I'm in !!! xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria Teresa - BrasilOctober 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM

    Yes, yes, yes. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have long admired your crochet and even though I think I might be out of my depth I am going to give this a go! Excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not very sure of my skills but I will give it a go! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Greetings from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What yarn brand did you use? I would like to get the same type. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the natural color is Aunt Lydia's and the yellow I've had for awhile so I don't know what the technical color name is and it's either Aunt Lydia's or Red Heart crochet thread size 10.

      Hope this helps!!
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts